A History of Some Descendants of Richard Hovey
of Essex, England
Much of the background I will present comes from anecdotal histories related to me by my grandmother, Laura Morrison Harley, and from a brief codicil written by Juliette Hovey Harley. Early Hovey history came from the THE HOVEY BOOK, describing the English ancestry and American descendants of Daniel Hovey; compiled and published by the Daniel Hovey Association; Lewis R. Hovey Press; Haverhill, Massachusetts; 1913; and from QUABOAG PLANTATION ALIAS BROOKFIELD: A SEVENTEENTH CENTURY MASSACHUSETTS TOWN" by Louis E. Roy, M.D.
The earliest Hovey I have been able to locate thus far is one Richard Hovey, born in 1575 in the County of Essex, England. Records were kept and verified at Waltham Abbey, Holy Cross Church, where many of the Hovey family were baptized, married, and buried. Waltham Abbey is located in the west corner of the county of Essex, between the River Lea and Epping Forest. The historic market town of Waltham Abbey retains a traditional character with its timber-frames buildings and its small bustling market that continues today. It is surrounded by woodlands, forest, and pleasant canal walks. The town dates from the time of Ralph de Tovi, standard-bearer to Canute the Great. The Abbey was originally built and adorned by King Harold [who is reportedly buried there], and consecrated on 3 May 1060. It was an Augustinian Abbey, of which there are still some visible remains within the surrounding gardens. It was one of the last to suffer under the dissolution of monasteries in 1514.
Extracted from Parish Register in the Abbey Church of Waltham Holy Cross, Essex, England by J. Henry Stamp, Curate ; on 28 Oct 1905 are the following:
- Agnes Hovey, daughter of Rychard Hovey--13 Apr 1597
- Rychard Hovey 7 Mar 1636
- Margret Hovey, daughter of John--20 Oct 1638
- A child of John Hovey--24 Oct 1641
- Richard Hovey, son of John Hovey--29 May 1649
- Nursing child of the Widow Hovey--9 May 1651
- Widow Hovey, elder--29 Aug 1653
- Joan Hovey, Widow of John--23 Aug 1658
- Margret Hovey, daughter of Rychard Hovey--10 Oct 1602
- Janne Hovey, daughter of Rychard Hovey--3 Feb 1604
- Francis Hovey, son of Rychard Hovey--20 Dec 1607
- James Hovey, son of Rychard Hovey--15 Apr 1610
- John Hovey, son of Rychard Hovey--19 Apr 1612
- Isabell Hovey, daughter of Rychard Hovey--326 Feb 1614
- Katharin Hovey, daughter of Rychard Hovey--8 Sep 1616
- *Daniel Hovey, son of Rychard Hovey--9 Aug 1618
- Margret Hovey, daughter of John Hovey--22 Jul 1638
- Elizabeth Hovey, daughter of John Hovey--10 May 1640
- Margret Hovey, daughter of John Hovey--13 Nov 1647
- Katharin Hoveyand Roger Coker--5 Oct 1634
- John Hovey and Joan Fowller--17 Sep 1637
Daniel Hovey & His Descendants
*Daniel Hovey, ancestor of the American Hoveys, was born at Waltham, Essex, England, (which lies 13 miles north of Liverpool Street Station, London, on the Cambridge branch of the Great Eastern Railroad) on 9 Aug 1618. He was a man of education, and while a teen, emigrated to America. Prior to leaving Waltham, Daniel was given a leather-bound volume of verse titled, G. DE SALUSTE DU BARTAS: HIS DIVINE WEEKES AND WORKES The volume is a large octavo of 1300 pages, bound in full leather. In the middle of each cover are the letters D and H, stamped deeply, each separated with a book-binder's design. This was given to Daniel by John Gibons, minister at Waltham Abbey. Guillaume de Saluste du Bartas, author of this tome, was a French poet, born in 1544, who died of wounds received in the battle of Ivry, having commanded a troop of horse soldiers in Gascony. His principal work, "LA DIVINE SEPMAINE", an epic poem on the creation of the world, was translated into Gascon, French, Italian, Spanish, German, English, Latin, and later, Swedish & Danish. Daniel's book was divided into portions for reading each week, hence the name, "Weekes.""To the purchase of Quaboag from the Indians for himself and his sons 06 05 00."
Daniel Hovey was one of the early settlers of Ipswich, Mass., arriving in 1635 at the age of 17. He married Abigail, daughter of Captain Robert Andrewes and Elizabeth Franklin of Ipswich circa 1641. Abigail Andrewes' ancestry is noteworthy. Her father, Robert, retained the English spelling of Andrews. Robert's aunt, Mrs. Johane Andrewes, widow of Thomas Andrewes, resided in London on Tower Hill. Her son, Lancelot, the Bishop of Winchester, assisted in crowning Elizabeth and James I. Lancelot was Ist in the list of 54 learned men selected to make what is known as the "King James" version of the bible. The Widow Johane Andrewes left one-third part of the ship called "The Mayflower" to her son Thomas, and her brother-in-law, William. William settled in Boston in 1633. Thomas subsequently belonged to the Massachusetts Bay Company. Both names figure frequently on the pages of the "Log of the Mayflower". Captain Robert Andrewes, father of Abigail, was master & owner of the "Angel Gabriel", which was an armed ship that came as consort of the "James", in August of 1635. Both the James and the Angel Gabriel were caught in a terrible storm and had to part company. The James anchored near the Isles of Shoals, and the Angel Gabriel anchored off Pemaquid, on the coast of Maine. The disastrous gale imperiled the James, which finally arrived "rent asunder and split to pieces in the Boston Harbor." (note:The Angel Gabriel was the first vessel which miscarried with passengers from Old England to New. It was built for Sir Walter Raleigh, and sailed from Bristol, Eng., carrying 16 guns).
The will of Capt. Robert Andrewes, dated 1 Mar 1643, lists his wife, Elizabeth, sons John and Thomas. He also had 2 daughters, Alice and Abigail (wife of Daniel Hovey). In order of age they were Alice, Abigail, John and Thomas.
Soon after Daniel's arrival in Ipswich, he set about acquiring an estate in land. Although only 19 years of age at the time, the Town granted him on February 5, 1636-7,a house lot and one acre of ground on the south side of the river, and 6 acres of land on Muddy Creek. Two years later, on March 27, 1639, he was allowed 6 acres of planting ground on Sagamore Hill. On April 10, 1639, he acquired from William Holdred, another 6 acres of planting land adjoining his other plot, a half acre of land to enlarge his house lot, and another dwelling on a house lot "and all the fencing belonging to both lots." On March 4, 1649-50, he was granted a highway to his lot, and on December 22, 1652:
[The original Hovey home, built in the early 1600's burnt in the 1890's. It had been derelict and empty for some time by then. The home to the left was built in 1665 by John Kendrick. His family remained loyal to the English Crown through the Revolutionary War. Roughly around 1780-1790 the Kendrick's moved to Cape Cod. Related to the Kendricks, the Hovey's purchased and moved across the river into this house at about that time. The home remains in the family to this day.]
"Daniel Hovey hath liberty to set his fence down on the river, at his ground bought of William Knowlton, making a stile at each end, the two rods still not withstanding is the Town's".
At a town meeting held February 4, 1658-9, he was granted liberty "to build a wharf against his ground that he bought of William Knowlton, and also such buildings as may tend to the improvement thereof."
There is no positive evidence as to the occupation of Daniel Hovey, but it seems fair to assume that living in Ipswich, he may have derived his living from the sea, directly or indirectly.
I found in [NAVAL RECORDS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION: 1775-1788, prepared from the originals in the Library of Congress by Charles Henry Lincoln, of the division of manuscripts, printed in Washington by the Government Printing Office, 1906; C.C. 196, vol. 14, p. 77] the following:
"on 9 Mar 1780 the ship Swallow, a Connecticutt schooner with 10 guns and a crew of 60, with Master James Hovey; Bonders James Hovey, Stratford; Thomas Wooster, New Haven; Owners: Pierpont Edwards & Co., Connecticutt." This would give creedence to the Hoveys being in the shipping business. Whatever his occupation at Ipswich, he seems to have done very well at it, and had acquired a considerable estate before his death.
He was very active in affairs of the town and at various times served on committees, as a jurist, was elected Surveyor of Highways, in 1648 & 1649, Constable in 1658, and a selectman on February 14, 1659-60.
In June of 1660, Daniel purchased 20 acres on Pye Brook in Topsfield from Sarah Stone of Watertown. He moved with his family soon thereafter, and remained in Topsfield until the settlement at Quaboag. In 1664, he was granted a share (3 acres of marsh land) on Plum Island. He continued his mercantile and real estate interests in Ipswich, and in August of 1666, was granted liberty to fell trees for his son James to work at his trade, and to build a shop; and, also enough to build a house for John.
Daniel Hovey seems to have spent more than the average amount of time in various courts both as a plaintiff and as a defendant. He appeared in court at Ipswich on September 24, 1667, accused of "speaking falsely to the prejudice of General Daniel Dennison." He was fined 20 shillings for his offense, which consisted of criticizing the actions of the Magistrate in a court procedure. This may have been one of the factors which influenced his departure to Quaboag Plantation.
And so it was that in the summer of 1668, Daniel and Abigail Hovey packed their belongings and set out for Quaboag, accompanied by their five younger children, Thomas aged 20, James 18, Joseph 15, Abigail 13, and Nathaniel 11. The older children, Daniel Jr. and John remained in Ipswich with their families.
By the time of his arrival in Quaboag he had already earned the title of "Deacon", was a man of wealth and influence. The inhabitants granted him a large tract of 100 acres, and an entry in the account books attested to the price he paid:
This was the largest single grant made to any inhabitant and reflects the high regard in which he was held by the planters.
There were twelve families and sixteen original land owners who established the settlement of Quaboag, which later became known as Brookfield. Seventeen were signers on the incorporation, dated 10 October 1673. Two of them, John Warner and James Hovey, were my direct line ancestors. A third, John Ayers, was the father of James Hovey's sister's husband, John Ayers, Jr. Those original families were:
- Warner: John and Priscilla [Symonds] Warner, Sr.; Daniel, Eliezer, Joseph, Abraham, Mehitable, Mercy S, Hannah, Elizabeth, Pricilla, Dorothy and Sarah.
Ayers: John and Susanna [Symonds] Ayers; John, Jr., Thomas, Joseph, Edward, Mark Nathaniel and Susanna.
Prichard: William and Hannah [Langton] Pritchard; John, Samuel, William and Joseph, ester, Elizabeth and Sarah.
Coy: Richard and Martha [Hatfield] Coy; Richard, Jr., John, Jabez, Hatfield, Caleb and Sarah [Kent] Coy.
Hovey: James and Priscilla [Warner] Hovey, Sr., Priscilla, Daniel, and James, Jr.
Trumble: Judah and Mary [Prichard] Trumble, Sr.; John and Ebenezer.
Travis: James and Mary [Pearce] Travis; Elizabeth and Mercy.
Younglove: The Reverend John Younglove, Jr.
Parsons: Thomas and Sarah [Dare] Parsons; Sarah, Hannah and Thomas, Jr.
Kent: Samuel and Frances Kent; Sarah, Mary, Samuel and John.
Wilson: Thomas and Mrs. Wilson; Mary and Hannah.
Millett: Thomas and Mary Millett; Thomas.
Pynchon: John Pynchon, magistrate of Brookfield.
Curtis: Ephraim Curtis, Indian Scout and trusted friend.
- Warner: Samuel Warner
- Warner: John Warner, Jr.
- Warner: Nathaniel Warner
During their stay in Quaboag several events transpired in the Hovey family. On November 2, 1670, James married Priscilla Warner and established a homestead soon after, and Abigail, daughter of Deacon Daniel, married John Ayers Jr. on August 28, 1672, and settled at Quaboag. She died prior to August of 1675. James was active in the community and was one of the signatories of the Petition of Incorporation dated October 10, 1673, that it might receive the name of "Brookfield". The request was granted and Quabog became a town, it's name being changed to Brookfield. James and Priscilla had three children born at Quaboag:
- Daniel, and
- James, all of whom were orphaned when their father was killed by the Indians on August 2, 1675.
Quaboag was far removed from the other settlements, being planted among the Indian villages. Prior to 1675 the settlers were confident of its security because of its decades of peaceful coexistence with its native neighbors. Although breakdown in Indian relations were taking place in other parts of Southern New England, the settlement at Quaboag seemed not to have been aware of it. They placed much reliance on their previous good relationships with the local Quaboag Indians, reassuring themselves that they were secure from aggression. Little did they realize that Muttaump, cosigner of the deed of purchase at Quaboag and pretended friend of the settlers, had achieved a position of eminence in the war cabinet of the Nipmucs. He was the leader of the forces responsible for the destruction of Quaboag Plantation.
King Phillip's War
Philip was a sachem, or chief, of the Wampanoag tribe of Native North Americans and the second son of the Wampanoag chief Massasoit, who for nearly 40 years had been the first and staunchest ally of the Pilgrim settlers of Plymouth, in what is now Massachusetts. Originally named Metacomet, he was called Philip by the English settlers. In 1662 Philip succeeded his brother and formally renewed the treaties of his father, which he honored for some years. The colonists, however, made continual encroachments on native lands. In retaliation Philip formed a confederation of tribes and in 1675 led an uprising now known as King Philip's War. They burned towns and killed many of the inhabitants. In return the colonists captured Native American women and children, destroyed crops, and promised impunity to Native American deserters. In December 1675 the colonists won a major victory. During the spring of 1676 the Native Americans held out, but their numbers steadily diminished, and in August, Philip was killed. The war then ended, and resistance to further colonial settlements in southern New England ceased.1
1"Philip (Native American chief)," Microsoft Encarta, 97 Encyclopedia
The reason for the assault on Quaboag is directly linked to King Phillip's war, and it was natural that Brookfield (as Quaboag had been renamed) should be selected by the natives for an early assault, since it was the most isolated of all English settlements in the Colony. The attack on Swansey on June 24th, 1675, signaled the beginning of the war. To determine the temper of the surrounding tribes within their jurisdiction, several emissaries had been sent to meet with the Nipmucs and the Quaboags. Captain Edward Hutchinson was assigned an escort consisting of Captain Thomas Wheeler and his mounted troop of about 20 men, Ephraim Curtis, a noted scout, and 3 friendly Indians to serve as interpreters. The party set out at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 1st, 1675. This escort was accompanied by the 3 non-commissioned officers in command of the small detachment at Brookfield, 1st Sgt. John Ayers Sr., 2nd Sgt. William Pritchard, and Corp. Richard Coy. In spite of the warnings by the Indian Scouts, the troop moved along the Bay Path, toward the rendezvous at Mensmeset.
As the small procession approached the swamp it became necessary to travel single file, there being a very rocky hill on the right hand, and a thick swamp on the left, filled with Indians who lay in wait to ambush the unsuspecting troop. When the men advanced about 60-70 rods the Indians attacked. With no alternative but to retreat, the men fled. Capt. Wheeler was wounded and his horse was shot out from under him. His son, Thomas, dropped back to help him and was wounded. Eight of the men were slain:
- Zachariah Phillips of Boston,
- Timothy Farlow of Billericay,
- Edward Coleburn of Chelmsford,
- Samuel Smedley of Concord,
- Sydrach Hopgood of Sudbury,
- Sgt. John Ayers,
- Sgt. William Prichard, and
- Corp. Richard Coy of Brookfield. Five horses were killed, and five men were wounded.
Their return to Brookfield startled the inhabitants into the realization that their Indian "friends" must now be considered dangerous and determined enemies. The town's people quickly gathered into Ayers' Tavern, the only place large enough to house them all. Apparently, James Hovey either delayed too long or received the warning too late, for he was killed in or near his home before the attack began on Ayers Tavern.
Capt. Wheeler, who was seriously wounded, turned command over to three of his enlisted men. As the colonists had not expected the attack, they had no time to bring provisions or clothing with them, and were not prepared for a prolonged siege.
After all was secured within the tavern, the next most urgent matter was to send a messenger for help. Ephraim Curtis and Henry Young were dispatched to the Governor's Council in Boston, but got no further than the eastern end of town when they were forced to turn back by the hordes of Indians who were looting the deserted houses. Samuel Prichard was caught outside while attempting to secure supplies from his father's house across the street. He was decapitated and his head "was kicked about like a football" and then set on a pole in front of the Prichard home. During this siege Henry Young was wounded while in the garret of the tavern, and died of his wounds about two days later. The assault continued until 3:00 a.m. when an attempt was made by the Indians to set one corner of the place on fire. Two of the town's men were wounded as they extinguished the blaze, and several Indians were killed.
After another unsuccessful attempt, Ephraim Curtis was able to get by the Indians and fled to Marlborough where a message was sent to Major Simon Willard, who hastened toward Brookfield.
Meanwhile, back at the settlement, on Tuesday, August 3rd, the Indian attack continued throughout the day and night. Several more attempts were made to set the tavern ablaze, which failed, due to the quick actions taken by the men within the building. Thomas Wilson was wounded in the neck and jaw while trying to obtain water from the well in the tavern yard. His wounds were not serious. A stone marker now commemorates the site of this well, which still contains water.
Wednesday, August 4th, dawned at Brookfield with the Indians still in command of the situation. They now fortified themselves in Ayers' barn, and were continuing their attempts to drive the inhabitants from the tavern. About one hour after nightfall, Major Willard and Capt. Parker, along with 46 troops and 5 Indians arrived and headed directly for the fortified house. In the resulting skirmish two men were wounded and one horse was killed. The addition of Willard's troop brought the total number of occupants in Ayers' tavern to 162! (The number of Indians involved has been estimated at 300-500.)
The arrival of Major Willard was the turning point of the battle, and the Indians withdrew in the early hours of the following morning. They set fire to the remaining unoccupied buildings...one barn and dwelling at the east end of town, the house and barn of William Prichard, the meeting house and the Ayers' barn. They also presumably burned the mill which was some distance from the village. At dawn on August 5th, the Indians left, taking their dead and wounded with them. The statistics of the siege shows the startling facts: eight men were killed outright at the ambush, five soldiers in Capt. Wheeler's Troop and three inhabitants, Ayers, Prichard and Coy; and Capt. Hutchinson who died later of wounds received there. Three were killed in the siege: Samuel Prichard, *James Hovey and Henry Young. Total killed...twelve. There were five wounded during the ambush and five during the siege...total wounded was ten. Approximately eighty Indians were killed, and Muttaump, their leader, was executed at Boston the following year, on September 26, 1676.
The inhabitants of Brookfield scattered to many parts of the Colony following the conflict. Suzannah Ayers, widow of John Ayers, returned with her large family to Ipswich, as did Thomas Wilson. Priscilla Hovey, widow of James, with her children Priscilla and James, also returned to that town. Her other son, Daniel, was taken into the household of her Father-in-law, Deacon Daniel in Hadley, where young Daniel was raised and educated. Widow Martha Coy and family went to Boston to live. Thomas Kent returned to Gloucester, James Travis returned to Brookfield as part of the new garrison. The Prichards, Judah Trumble and Samuel Kent purchased property in Suffield. Thomas Parsons moved to Windsor, where he died in 1680. John Warner, the elder, took his family to Hadley where his sons John and Thomas were already living.
After the departure of Major Willard and the few remaining inhabitants who accompanied him back to the Bay settlements, the charred remains of the Quaboag Plantation were to serve only as an assembly point for military expeditions and as a garrison outpost. And so matters were to remain until the advent of Sir Andros' Government in 1686, when Brookfield was again to rise during a period of turmoil, assemble a collection of controversial characters and begin a new settlement in the ashes of the old.
Deacon Daniel Hovey, along with the remainder of his family with the exception of his son, James, and daughter, Abigail, established themselves at Hadley in early October of 1672, soon after the wedding of Abigail and John Ayers. Deacon Hovey, while living in Hadley, suffered much at the hands of the Indians. He also contributed heavily to the defense of the town, and was later reimbursed by the Governor's Council.
Daniel Hovey made several appearances in court during his stay in Hadley, and one of these may have been responsible for his return to Ipswich. On September 26, 1676, Daniel was complained of for failure to pay rent to the estate of Henry Clerke of Hadley. He was ordered to pay 14 pounds in back rent due plus cost of court, all to be paid in 1676. He apparently defied the court order and refused to pay so that the executors of the estate brought suit again in Hampshire County Court held in Northampton on March 27, 1677. He was again ordered to pay the 14 pounds rent plus court costs of one pound, ten shillings, six pence, which he did. On the same date, Daniel Hovey is the plaintiff and John Russell, Jr., one of the executors of the estate mentioned above, the defendant, in an action of:
"Unjust molestation and uncharitable charges to the defamation of or slander of the said Daniel Hovey and his wife, charging the said Daniel Hovey to be a man of a scandalous life, in an open assembly and was therefore denied church communion and this threat too he made but to the church that he belonged to and all the churches thereabouts."
The jury returned in favor of Deacon Hovey. However, the implications and unpleasantness of the whole situation must have weighed heavily on the elder Hoveys, for soon thereafter, in 1678 they returned to Ipswich with their younger son, Nathaniel, now 21.
The son of James Hovey who was killed in Quaboag, James Hovey Jr., born in 1674, became a weaver, and lived in Malden, MA until the summer of 1716, when he moved to Mansfield, CT. There in Mansfield, he became a yeoman. James married Deborah, daughter of Edmund and Mary (Pemberton) Barlow of Charlestown, in 1694; she died in Mansfield on 15 May 1749. James died in 1760, his will being probated 6 May 1760. The children of James and Deborah (Barlow) Hovey were born in Malden as follows:
*Daniel Hovey was born in Malden, Massachusetts on 7 Dec 1710. He lived in Mansfield, CT., and married Elizabeth, daughter of Lieutenant John Slapp and Elizabeth Marble on 6 Dec 1732. Elizabeth was born in Salem, MA. on 25 Apr 1714. Their children born in Mansfield, CT. were as follows:
- James...24 Sep 1695
- Deborah...2 Apr 1697
- Edmund...10 Jul 1699
- John...Feb 1700
- Mary...Dec 1702
- Joseph...16 Feb 1704
- Thomas...15 Feb 1706
- Priscilla...11 Dec 1708
- *Daniel...7 Dec 1710
- Samuel...29 Apr 1713
- Abigail...15 Mar 1714
- Elizabeth...1 Nov 1734
- Daniel...8 Sep 1736
- Enoch...10 Nov 1738
- Anne...21 Dec 1740
- *Josiah...24 Aug 1743
- Hannah...15 Jun 1745
- Simeon...15 Oct 1747
- Miriam...5 Apr 1750
- Marble...22 Nov 1752 (died 12 Nov 1754)
- Alice...15 Dec 1754
*Josiah Hovey was born in Mansfield, CT. and lived until 1795, at Lebanon, NH, after which he resided at Whitestown, NY where he remained the rest of his life. He served in the Revolutionary War at Ticonderoga. He was one of the founders and original members of the Methodist Church at Warsaw.
Josiah married Theodora Downer, a native of Mansfield, CT, and died at Warsaw, NY on the 24th of Apr 1820. Theodora survived him, and died at the age of 99, several months prior to her 100th birthday. However, she was so close to living a century that the bell was tolled 100 times at her death! Their children were:
- Simon...6 Jul 1776, in Lebanon, NH
- *Gurdon...6 Jun 1778, Lebanon, NH
- Josiah...Jan 1780, Lebanon, NH
- Orre...23 Jul 1788, Lebanon, NH
- Lura...23 Sep 1797, Whitestown, NY
*Gurdon Hovey married Anna Starkweather of Williamstown, MA on 25 Mar 1789. They resided for many years at Warsaw, and finally moved to Michigan. Gurdon died on 11 Jun 1870 in Romeo, Macomb, MI. Their children were:
- *Augustus M...27 Nov 1810
- Alonzo Indications were that there were eight children; however, I could only account for these five.
*Augustus M. Hovey was born 27 Nov 1810, in Warsaw, Genessee Co., NY. He moved with his family to Romeo, Macomb, MI in 1825. He was a farmer and also engaged for some years in the manufacture of lumber products in Lapier Co. He was married on 10 Jan 1836 to Malvina Humphrey of Almont, MI. They had six children:
Malvina (Humphrey) died 20 Sep 1858, and Augustus married a second time, to Margaret Harper who was born in Ireland 21 May 1838.
- Juliette...17 Feb 1837
- Hiram A...8 Dec 1838
- Lavinia...13 Sep 1840
- *Asa M...24 Aug 1842
- Lovina E...23 Aug 1847
- Martha E...24 Aug 1853
*Asa M. Hovey was born 24 Aug 1842 in Romeo, Macomb, MI and died on 27 Nov 1902 in Cato, Montcalm, MI. He married Theresa M. Butler, (AKA:Thursey). Thursey was born 17 Sep 1851 in Jasper, Steuben, NY, and died 27 Sep 1904 in Cato, Montcalm, MI. Asa Hovey served in the Civil War. He had three years service, from 28 Aug 1862 at age nineteen, until he was mustered out on 1 Jul 1865 in Nashville, TN. He was a Teamster and served in Company H; 4th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry. Children born to Asa and Thursey were:
- *Juliette...13 Jun 1872
- Sarah J...1876
- Edward E...May 1878
- Henry A...Apr 1880
Juliette Hovey was born 13 Jun 1872 in Cato, Montcalm, MI and moved with her parents to Mason Co., MI when she was 3 1/2 years old. Juliette married Percy Frank Harley at West Riverton, MI on 26 Jul 1888. They had four children as follows:
- Stella Leone...30 Mar 1890-1 Jan 1963
- Ethel Adele...29 Nov 1892-17 Jun 1984
- *Joseph Lee...7 Dec 1895-15 Jun 1950
- Beatrice Naomi...Jan 1903-11 Oct 1905
Percy spent his early years on the family farm in Luddington, MI. At the age of 17 he became apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade. The family moved to Washington State in October of 1906 where they settled in Port Angeles, Clallam Co., WA. Later Percy leased the Sol Duc Hot Springs, which he successfully operated from 1906 to 1912.The family lived in Port Angeles during the winter months. The rest of the year they were at the Sol Duc Spa. There were no roads to the western part of the Olympic Peninsula, so people would end up at Piedmont, on the north east end of Lake Crescent. They took a boat to the south west end of the lake and from there Percy would meet them with pack horses to take them through to the Sol Duc. The guests either hiked, rode the horses, or traveled in the wagon.
The devastating forest fire of 1912 occurred while the family was at the Spa. It did not reach the Sol Duc Resort, but the staff and guests evacuated the hot springs area since it was thought that the fire would extend that far. The family dog could not be found, but when they returned after the fire, the dog was located on a sand bar in the river. It apparently jumped in the river and then on to the sand bar to escape the fire and heat.
The Harleys joined forces to operate the Sol Duc resort until after the fire of 1912, when the Chicago timber millionaire, Earls, took over and began to build the huge hotel, which operated for just the 1914-1915 seasons, then burned to the ground.
After relinquishing the Sol Duc, Percy once again resumed work as a contractor and builder, managing the Port Angeles Construction Company, as well as other business operations, until his election as City Treasurer in 1914. He served four terms as treasurer.
Percy was described as being "free from ostentation and display", recognizing and fully meeting the duties and obligations that fell upon him. He served as City Treasurer for Port Angeles, and was found to be courteous, obliging, and one who was "ever prompt and thoroughly reliable in performing the work of his office." Percy gave his political allegiance to the Republican party, and was a loyal advocate of its principles. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Eastern Star, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs. He was also an active and prominent member of the Commercial Club, believing in the Pacific North West and its future...always ready to give of his time and effort toward promoting the welfare of the area.
Percy died 10 Dec 1936, at Swedish Hospital, Seattle, King, WA and is interred at the Acacia Mausoleum, Violet Corridor, niche #4 or #11.
Graphics for this Web Site were obtained from: Fantasyland Graphics
Web Author: Dianne Elizabeth, © 1999
To reach me by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Site: Dianne Elizabeth's Family History, Created July 17th, 1999
Page Title: A Hovey History
Page Created: September 27th, 1999
Additions: January 12th, 2000
Revised: December 29th, 2012